Friday, March 16, 2007

Daily Scriptures March 16 2007 First Thoughts

Psalm 22:1-31; Jeremiah 11:1-8, 14-17; Romans 6:1-11; John 8:33-47; Psalm 105:1-45

"A green olive tree, fair with goodly fruit" (Jer. 11:16). That’s how God remembered Israel, God’s chosen, God’s image-bearers. I love that image for the people of God. God planted us, and God’s created intent for us was always as life-giving, supple creatures, with potential and promise. God’s intent is to bless not curse us with every good thing. God’s love and God’s laws were to nurture our tender shoots, so that we bear fruit for Him.

The covenant from God - the holy hedge of protection and belonging – should have been all we needed to exist with God and grow strong. But we think we can grow up all by ourselves. We cannot because we remain vulnerable to pests and evil – within and without. We fail to allow ourselves to be pruned.

Thank God for Jesus – the tender shoot that would grow up to save me, to mend the fence around my life and restore what the locust ate. I am still a green olive tree, but because of Christ, I have great promise. Because of Christ, I live (Romans).

This week, I saw a single tender crocus that had come up from a dusty yard that had not yet begun to green up. A reminder to me that we have new life in Christ, when there seems to be no life at all. From the dust comes life – tender and vulnerable; if it were not for God’s love and protection given to us in the covenant, we would perish. I will obey God today the best I can, knowing I’ll tend to grow crooked if left to my own, and never bear fruit. I am tempted that way every day.

I want to grow straight and tall, and bear fruit for God. So be it Lord. Have your way with me today.

No comments: