Monday, March 26, 2007

Reflection on the Psalm March 26 2007

Morning: Psalm 119:73-80

73Your hands have made and fashioned me;

give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.

74Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,

because I have hoped in your word.

75I know, O LORD, that your judgments are right,

and that in faithfulness you have humbled me.

76Let your steadfast love become my comfort

according to your promise to your servant.

77Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;

for your law is my delight.

78Let the arrogant be put to shame,

because they have subverted me with guile;

as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.

79Let those who fear you turn to me,

so that they may know your decrees.

80May my heart be blameless in your statutes,

so that I may not be put to shame.


These are humbling words to this preacher. I read them right after I had received another email from a member telling me how much my message Sunday the 25th had spoken to her. She was not the only one. In fact, I was overwhlemed yesterday with feedback on my sermon about the journey with Jesus into the Garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26:36-46). Watch and pray with me, Jesus asked us. Stay awake with me. Watch me agonize over what I must do, even as I will agonize with you over what you must do in your life. Please don't fall asleep to God's will and God's heart, he pleads.

It appears my message woke up a few folks. Myself included. I had entered the Garden earlier in the week as I prepared the message. God led me there, where I wrestled to stay awake and prayed, a lot more than I usually do. Because this week, Jesus asked me to. My life with Jesus has formed my thoughts and practices, and given me understanding. I know Jesus is the only way to wholeness and hope, and that He will walk with me as I study and pray and deliberate and counsel in my ministry. Many decisons are hard; many people are broken; the church has challenges I don't have answers for. Many came with me into the Garden, weary and tired, discouraged and confused. But for such a time as this, like He did for David and Moses and Paul and Deborah and Esther, and others, God has given me understanding and compassion. God has given me faith and hope and wisdom. And God has given me a word for others.

Yesterday I brought it. And the people rejoiced. Not in me - but in the Word in me - that Jesus had had his way with me too, in the Garden and gave me the words I was to pass on: that God's judgments are right, even when they chafe. That our only hope is in the Lord, when other ways would be easier; that God's love is our only comfort, when people fail us, and trouble hounds us. I know it to be true in my life. And so I preached it, humbly, as one called out to stay alert to the needs of others, as I stay close to Jesus, my Lord and Savior, and pray with Him. For He prays for me, and He prays for them.

My words are His words, or may I be put to shame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your words did come from the Lord. I knew so as I listened. Please stay faithful to his call. You do hvae impact on those who hear.