Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Daily Scriptures, First Thoughts June 5 2007

Morning: Psalm 54:1-7
Deuteronomy 12:1-12
2 Corinthians 6:3-13 (14-7:1)
Luke 17:11-19
Evening: Psalm 28:1-9

I've missed blogging this past week as I returned to another era void of electronics for a few days: I took my 89 year old uncle and his new bride of 8 days, along with my mother, to Branson, Missouri. It was Uncle Bill and Rhoda's honeymoon trip. Their recent nuptials were a testimony to God's love and faithfulness, for at 89 years of age, my Uncle found love again after his wife of over 50 years died of Alzheimer's. Same with Rhoda - they met in a support group. It was also an encouragement for me to be with this man of God, who spoke often of the work of the Holy Spirit in his life and in the world. Though Branson may not be the promised land God promised Israel in Deuteronomy 12, it was a mecca for rejoicing, for God had brought us together there to celebrate love that surpasses understanding with this Abraham and Sarah of a couple, cooing in the back seat of our car, and kissing every chance they could get.
The writer of Deuteronomy says it well: And you shall rejoice before the LORD your God, you together with your sons and your daughters...

Rejoice we did indeed.

My new Aunt Rhoda is a special treasure, getting to know me graciously and accepting us unconditionally. She has learned about grace in her life - she was frank about the addictions she overcame in her life, and like Paul writes in Corinthians: she spoke with frankness that conjured honesty and forthrightness in us all - no games or pretenses. She and Uncle Bill share a simple and gentle faith - easily lived out before us with affection toward us, as they gave God the glory for their love. And also like Paul,
2There is no restriction in our affections, but only in yours. 13In return—I speak as to children—open wide your hearts also.

This was the lesson God revealed to this child of God in Branson through their proclamation of Jesus: love never fails. Love rooted in Jesus is gentle and kind and overcomes all obstacles. Had Uncle Bill found a non-believer, perhaps they would not have shared God's part in their marriage - this is the consequence of unyoked marriages, that do not proclaim God.

Of the 10 lepers who received healing form Jesus, only one gave God the glory. In Branson, I imagine there are other honeymooners - but I was grateful to be with this one couple who gave God the glory. With every kiss resounding from the back seat, I thanked God for his love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyn!
What a treat to hear from you in this meaningful way. Today I'm finally taking the time to respond. Wow, what a testimony to the power of love in reading of your uncle and new aunt's love found in their support group... And what an adventure you must've had with them in Branson. I wish you were going to be at PTS next week for the Engle Inst., but I know we'll have other opps for our paths to cross again. God bless you. Mark

Anonymous said...

Hope I'm still kissing at 89!