Thursday, August 23, 2007

daily scriptures first thoughts august 23 2007

Morning: Psalm 36:1-12
2 Samuel 19:1-23
Acts 24:1-23
Mark 12:28-34
Evening: Psalm 80:1-19

Jesus lived out the Law publicly and defended His faith in the one true God. Paul and all disciples since have done the same, as they followed Jesus. Jesus reminds us today in Mark's gospel that the first commandment for Christians of all stripes is to the one true God, to love God with heart, mind, soul strength - FIRST. To love and linger there before we love others. Learn from God about God and what matters to God. When I focus on loving God first, I realize there is only so much time and energy and strength for what else matters to God, which is to love my neighbor as my self. Should I say, as God loves me. Other things fall under this, flow from these 2 commandments.

And this I know as well. That when I give God the first fruits of all I am and have - time, talent, heart, mind, will, desires, and my attention, I see the world differently. I see my neighbor differently. I see my struggles differently. And I find my courage to love with justice and action and compassion and humility. Loving my neighbor looks differently many time,s depending upon how God has shed light light on the situation, and I am careful to discern how God wants me to love my neighbor. Do I give? Do I withhold? Do I flee? Do I defend? Do I speak? Do I listen? Do I rebuild? Do I let go? Do I engage? Do I detach? Do I confront? Do I accept confrontation? Love has many expressions and God gives us the rules of love and faith. This was the way Jesus loved.

May we look to God in Jesus first for the way of love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen and amen.

Anonymous said...

"How precious is your steadfast love, O God! All people may take refuge in the shadow of your wings...For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light." Those words from Psalm 36 are also what we find when we seek God first. We abide under his wings and find life abundant.

I've always been struck by the phrase
"in your light we see light." When we seek God's face, when we place him first in our lives, we walk in a light against which no darkness can prevail. Our eyes are opened to see what God is doing and can fall in step with him. In his light we see and experience his steadfast love and that love can be passed on to those we encounter each day. We drink from the fountain of life and then lead others to that fountain. Jesus said living waters would flow from us. Let's be that fountain for those who have yet to know the saving grace of Jesus. Let's be that fountain for our hurting brothers and sisters. Let's bring God's steadfast love to a lost world that desperately needs it.

It all begins, as Lyn has said by our spending time with God, putting him first.