Friday, February 23, 2007

Daily Lectionary February 23 2007 First Thoughts

Psalm 22:1-31; Deuteronomy 7:12-16; Titus 2:1-15

As I read the scriptures today, filled with words about obedience and God’s protection, faithfulness and submission, my first thoughts were the old hymn “Trust and Obey.” I began to sing the chorus: “Trust and obey, for there’s no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.” It’s a hymn that along with the sound doctrines and commandments, I learned in Sunday school and worship. That as a young person, was taught to me by the older and wiser in my church. We sang it in the congregation, like the psalmist encourages in today’s psalm (v 22): I will tell of your name to my brothers and sisters; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you…

But I must say.

My life doesn’t fit the promises this hymn seems to make if I only trust and obey – Trust God and obey God’s commandments, God’s ordinances, walk faithfully in Jesus’ steps, work on Jesus’ call on my life, keeping a pure and undefiled life, teach sound doctrine, honor everyone – if I do all that, then I will be happy. No shadows, no gloom, no doubts or fears will rise. No frowns, grief, loss, not even a cross. All will be blessed and happy, happy, happy.

Well, come on, already! I trust God. I love Jesus. I know the Holy Spirit has brought me this far. I believe the Word of God is reliable and true. I’m a pastor, for heaven’s sake! But I still fear. I still have doubts. I still have more questions than answers. I still hurt people, and have less than pure thoughts. I still wake up during the night and worry about my kids, and my flock, and the world. My brow still forms furrows, and tears still flow down my cheeks. Happy?

And then I read again verse 4 of the hymn: But we never can prove the delights of his love, until on the altar we lay; for the favor he shows and the joy he bestows are for them who will trust and obey…and the words from Titus come: For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all,12training us to renounce impiety and worldly passions, and in the present age to live lives that are self-controlled, upright, and godly, 13while we wait for the blessed hope and the manifestation of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

This is what we teach – hope in the Lord, not happiness. Trust and obey for there’s no other way to be HOPEFUL in Jesus, than to trust and obey.

2 comments:

susan said...

Well, now you have me hearing "trust and obey" in my musical mind. I agree, happiness is a fleeting thing. Yet hope can be as well if we do not stay grounded in the word. David seemed to lose hope time and again. But at those times he made himself recall scripture, he set his mind to remember past joys and victories, and through those memories hoped to see God move the mountains in his life again.

One of the best ways we can keep or rekindle hope is to allow others in to our places of pain. It's not easy being vulnerable enough to say you are losing hope, but the words of grace and encouragement from God seem to come most often from the mouths of other Christians.

Trust and obey isn't just toward God, it's toward godly people who love us and have our best interests at heart, too. Perhaps it could be rephrased as "trust and try to follow godly advice." Shared tears and pain gives hope we are not alone. Shared joy is contagious.

I am thankful for those God has placed in my life to be encouragers in my faith walk. But it begins with trusting and obeying God.

Anonymous said...

It's true that the best friendships are the ones which we share both joy and pain. I don't know what's going on in girls Bible Study. If the topic is still friendships. Our friendship with God is so much richer when we share with him not just what is bothering us, but also the joys that we encounter everyday.