Monday, February 26, 2007

Daily Lectionary February 26 2007 First Thoughts

Psalm 119:73-80; Deut. 8:1-20; Hebrews 2:11-18; John 2:1-12

“Do whatever he tells you.”

My first reaction to Jesus’ mother’s words to the wine stewards in Cana, if I were them, would be to ask her, “Why? And why should I do whatever this carpenter apprentice tells me? I know my business. What does he know about wine? What does he know about me? What does he know about anything?”

This would be what I’d wonder. This is what I confess I wonder myself. Sometimes I have trouble trusting God in the moment, with the things I believe I understand more about than anyone: like my relationships, my preaching, the care of the flock, my family, my pain and my experiences with life. As I hear Mary’s words, I can say I believe, but do I trust? Do I trust that Jesus knows absolutely everything about me and the world and pain and joy – about whatever - that I would do whatever he tells me?

In our society, we don’t like those words, “Do whatever he tells you.” We don’t trust anyone absolutely. Well, our only hope is to trust only God, not the gods of this life. It is a trust and obey issue. Not just to follow all the laws and commandments, but first to enter into a relationship with God, by faith in Christ. How do we enter in?

It begins as I consider God’s promises to all God’s people, and I remember, with them, God’s fulfilled promises of rescue, provision, protection, faithfulness, wisdom, belonging. As I consider the miracles and signs and wonders when people encounter Jesus. I first need to listen to the other stories – in the Bible, at the weddings and classrooms, offices, prisons, and neighborhoods about the mystery of the Holy Spirit’s power. And then, consider my own life. Do I really know everything there is to know about my life?

I thank God for Mary, who on that day in Cana was proud as punch of a son the servants thought only a mother could boast about. I thank God they obeyed him and gave me the witness. As he entered into his ministry, so we can enter into his life. God promises that we shall be complete in Christ – fully human, loved, known, equipped and empowered, by faith in this carpenter who could change water into wine. This carpenter is my brother, my Savior, my Lord.

And I will try to do whatever he tells me. Today, he tells me Come to me all you who are weary going it alone, thinking you know it all, carrying the burden of pride, seeking rescue or wisdom or peace… come to me and I will give you…whatever you ask.

No comments: