Wednesday, January 30, 2008

First Thoughts January 30, 2008

Morning: Psalm 147:1-11
Genesis 16:1-14
Hebrews 9:15-28
John 5:19-29
Evening: Psalm 91:1-16

10
His delight is not in the strength of the horse,

nor his pleasure in the speed of a runner;

11but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him,

in those who hope in his steadfast love.

How these words comfort me today as I consider how limited I am, in matters of life and faith. Discerning God's will for my life, settling disputes, loving the unlovely. I am guilty like the rest of us for not praying enough, trusting enough, loving enough, forgiving enough. Certainly, I need to take better care of my body - resting and exercise, nutrition. Add to that the temptation to compare ourselves with others - and it can be down right discouraging.

But that's what Satan would have us believe. "You're not ____ enough."

Then come the words of the psalmist.

I will delight in the Lord today as one of his beloved. In his steadfast love is my strength for today and my hope for tomorrow. He's already taken care of yesterday.

Amen.



No comments: